Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Hardy Alpha 5 up and running

Yes, that's true, Hardy's up and running!!! :-) I have the latest Ubuntu installed. This was my 2nd attempt at the installation and this time, I suceeded. I guess there was some problem in the way I chose to make partitions. This time, I made a / and a /usr (instead of /home) and all went well.

Now, I came up with another problem. Firefox 3.0 beta wouldn't work. It came up showing the File and Edit menus at the bottom of its window and it wouldn't let me do anything. So, I inserted the Gutsy (7.10) DVD and installed Firefox 2.0. It removed 3.0 and started working just fine. This time, I learnt how to load a CD-ROM into Synaptic.

I chanced upon screenlets while browing Ubuntu forums and I tried a few screenlets (goto http://screenlets.org/index.php/Information to know more about them). They look amazing! I tried the CPU meter, Notes screenlet and System monitor. I must say, I am amazed. I turned off the CPU meter and System monitor because they are going to start timers and I want to make use of all the realtime features that the kernel provides, right? So, I only use the Notes screenlet for now! I will look for more later.

In short, am loving it :)
-raghav
P.S: I wish to show off all these features and get people to adopt Ubuntu/Linux/Open-source!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment